Monday, January 09, 2006

Ronnie’s 1st Row


“MY QUILT OF MANY QUOTES”
OR “THE PROVERBIAL QUILT”

I was really inspired by Hope’s link to the Quick Quilts site for the Log Cabin Swirl Quilt. I usually have a go at something I haven’t seen before so I thought I’d give it a go to see if I liked it as much as the pic. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. It was a bit of a challenge for me as I’ve not attempted much in the way of foundation piecing – which is what this is. The centre block is different to the other 4 and I’ve used it as a stepping stone joining the patterns together.

Doing the Log Cabin Swirl went against my original idea with the soft and pretty pastels and with this row I had to choose 11 colours – so went with medium brights. I have included the fabrics for you to use in your rows too as they are now ¾’s of a FQ and may be useful if needed to match colours.

Even though the block is 6” I enlarged it by photocopying the foundation template by 141% and it comes out EXACTLY 8inches. Phew – it came in at 40.5” x 8.5” – just what is required. Hope you like it too – thanks Hope for the link.

Also, I have chosen a “Quilter’s” Theme for this quilt and was inspired by an article on Conversation Quilts. A conversation quilt has quotes or proverbs written or embroidered on it. This can be done on the white background fabric – wherever you like and I have included the acid-free pen for handwriting your own quote/proverb. I love the idea of this being MY quilt. I hope you like my ideas too.

Enjoy your sewing,
Ronnie – 9th Jan 2006.

PS: I still have to write my quotes on the blocks so don’t try to find them – they’re not there yet….

1 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Wow Ronnie, That looks stunning!!! I am going to use this pattern for my quilt when it is nearing completion to make a 10th row, as I found the pattern AFTER I had already completed my original row. I'm glad you were able to make use of it

2:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home